Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Review of 2017

GOODBYE 2017



Just a couple of days and we are done with another year, yes 365 days, again. It is so weird that when you're bored or sad the minutes don't pass but doesn't it feel like the years pass so fast? When I look back on 2017, I feel like everyday was same. It was a different year from all others. Even though I don't remember my new year resolutions here are what I think I might have done.

1. For once I was not a student. I worked a full-time job.

Even though I was accepting to go to PhD, life didn't go as I planned and I didn't get into a PhD program. I wasn't prepared for this situation so I had to do nothing but start working on an industry job.

2. Get in shape.

I have this on my resolution list for the past few years now. I made success for a few months where I was losing a pound (half kg) a month. Then I switched jobs and here I am with a failure.

3. Publish paper from master's.

I had my reasons (excuses) for delaying this. However, I am almost ready to send the draft to my thesis advisor.

4. Read a book every month.

I am very ashamed to say that I am not a reading person, at all. Besides research, I barely prefer to read. I did read a few though.

5. Stay healthy.

I did a great job on this one until November. I was very sick in 2nd week of November and I took a week off.

6. Get married.

Nope, not yet. We are having a long distance relationship and things didn't work as planned.

7. Get into PhD.

I just took things very slow this year and applied only for few positions. It made me realize that I may just want to pursue a part-time PhD since there are very limited positions in academia now.

These are all I actually remember from my 2017 goals. There are two things that happened which I wasn't expecting.

1. After so many years of thinking if I would be a successful blogger, after inspiring from a colleagues blog, I am here today, writing, and so far my page views are better than I expected.

2. I still don't know to which path will lead me to (industry or academia) I realized what I can do to accomplish my goals even though they tend to take a little longer.

Soon I will write a post on goals for 2018 so by next December I will know what I am expecting from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment