Saturday, January 27, 2018

Customary units to SI units for structural engineers

One of the biggest struggles I had when I first moved to Texas A&M was with the units. USA prefers to use customary units, and for any other student from anywhere else it is a trouble. On my first industry job in Turkey, I worked in a firm where we were designing structures located in USA and we were also using customary units. Even though you can google them and get many results in seconds here is what I used on daily basis as a structural engineering student and structural engineer.
Pound = 0.45 kg (used in daily life as well)
Kips = 1000 pounds
Inch = 2.54 cm
Foot = 12 inches = 30.48 cm
Yard = 12 feet = 144 inches
Ksi = kips per square inch
Psi = pound per square inch

Above are the ones you will use 90% of time, so better knowing them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment