Monday, February 19, 2018

College Station, Texas

This city might mean a world or nothing to you. It is a college town located east of Texas and it is home to millions of Aggies (students who went and graduated from Texas A&M University). All my life I lived in relatively big and developed cities. I lived in Turkey, UAE and Poland and here are how Texas, specially College Station was different to me. Please note that some of them are special for Texas and some are for USA.

Transportation
No public transportation. It was my first time in States and I didn’t know that mostly in Southern states use of car is at maximum. As you can see on map, Texas has enormous land. No (or very limited) public transportation meant no access to anything, including grocery store.

Southern hospitality
Random people say hi to you and ask how you are. There is a thing called Southern hospitality and it is awesome specially if you are trying to find your way, it is their way of feeling you comfortable to speak.

Food size
When you first eat their food, it is too spicy and kind of full of fat and you can never finish your plate. Once you get used to the taste and flavors and the size, OMG the plate sizes are satisfying. The combination of cheese, beans, avocado, lime are something you start craving for. Additionally, it brings extra weight. I put on 10 kgs in first 6 months and at least maintained the weight. Sad reality, I still couldn’t lose it.

Health care
Hospitals. I had to go to an emergency room once and it was totally different from this side of the world. I knew it was very expensive, but after spending the nigh there, I let without paying anything. They said they will contact the insurance company and my remaining balance will be sent to me by mail.

American Football
I only had his experience in college football league. It was held on Saturdays. The Friday before was held for midnight yell. During Saturday tailgates of different student organizations and departments were held. Below are a few links to specific culture in TAMU and for Aggies. Below is a video from youtube that I highly recommend you to take a look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z12u7eVLw48

No comments:

Post a Comment