Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Is it really possible to do something part time besides full time job?

With very limited academic positions, most of us are giving up on our dream of becoming a researcher by not going to PhD. Meanwhile some of us are trying to pursue PhD part-time besides our full time job and personal life.

When you google it, there are hundreds of successful part-time PhD stories. If we want something so bad there’s always a way around it. But how possible is it? And at the end of the day is it really worth it?

Yes I have a full time job 8am-6pm. I leave my house at 7:10 and come back at 6:40. That is exactly 11 ½ hours of the day. I minimum sleep 8 hours and with simple math you can see I have 4 ½ hours of the day left for dinner, shower, family and personal things.

After work I come home very exhausted, just take shower, eat something and lay on the couch. I tried being productive but it just doesn’t work out. I don’t prefer to watch a movie or serial more than 1 hour a day either. If there’s a book I like I read a few pages and sleep directly.

On the other side I am deeply passionate in getting PhD (part-time or full-time) even though I know my chances of ending in academia is very low. My solution to this was a little hard to adopt but that’s my only chance. I have been waking up an hour earlier than I am supposed to, to finish my PhD applications, to read journals, to work on my part time research project and to write an article I‘ve been procrastinating for a while now.

Yes an hour doesn’t aloe me to accomplish all that I want, but it helps me get somewhere I always want to be. As I mentioned on my 2018 goals I will start PhD this year, we will see if I can get a full time employment in a research project or I would have to conduct it in my spare time.


If I need to answer the question of if it is worth it, I think I can only see this after a few years. However, until age of 25, I didn’t hear anyone saying “oh no I am too educated what should I do with this???”

No comments:

Post a Comment