Thursday, March 8, 2018

Happy International Women's Day

Even though today is a day I am supposed to post, I wanted to write a few sentences on this beautiful day. I believe woman is start of everything amazing. I am not a feminist, actually I get along with man better than woman, probably because I am a realist and studied in a man oriented department – civil engineering. I was raised by my mum, my dad was abroad for work and I would see him a few times a year and speak with him on the phone every day. If I ever honestly answer the question what’s your biggest dream, it is as simple as “be a great engineer like my father and be an amazing mom like my mother”.

Unfortunately, we are living in man dominated world. It is unfortunately not very different in well developed countries. I even came across few academic job posts in those countries mentioning they encourage woman to apply.

So why are women not appreciated? Because we bleed once a month? Because we give birth and need to take a few months off? Because we are emotional and get hurt? Because we are see details better? This questions can be extended to fill a page. My honest idea on this is that women are not appreciated because they can do anything and everything, sometimes all at once. A creature who has full time job, a family, kids, hobbies, academic title all at once is even too much for some woman. In a year of my experience I came across very intelligent man, I probably need to work very hard to get to their knowledge and experience. On the other side, once I got close enough to know their personal life, it was very disappointing. I honestly didn’t come across anyone who has all the things I mentioned above. Of course I can’t make a conclusion on all professionals I met in a few years.

Another point I’d like to add is, unfortunately females are harsher to each other. In professional life, I never came across a good example of a group of women supporting each other. The tragedy behind this is that we are expecting men world to treat us better when we are not giving each other enough respect and support.

I am wishing all women and men who are supporting us an amazing women’s day. The world will be a better place one day and we all need equal rights and opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment